Neurodiversity, Eating Disorders, and the LGBTQ+ Community w/ Quinn Haisley
Today I am joined by Quinn Haisley (they/she), a non-binary, queer, and neurodivergent eating disorder dietitian. Quinn started working in the eating disorder field 3 years ago as a registered dietitian in BALANCE eating disorder treatment center, where she has worked at the PHP, IOP, and outpatient level. They started their own private practice, Practice Eros Nutrition, in April 2022 to primarily focus on working with LGBTQ+ and neurodivergent folx after seeing a need for more affirming treatment spaces run by clinicians with lived experience. Quinn is passionate about breaking out of the cookie cutter ED treatment model and bringing social justice into ED recovery. In today’s episode, Quinn and I discuss the overlap between neurodiversity, eating disorders, and the LGBTQ+ community. They answer the following questions:
- What is Practice Eros Nutrition?
- How can being queer and neurodivergent interplay during an eating disorder?
- How can gender dysphoria impact the development of eating disorders?
- What are some incorrect assumptions made about queer individuals with eating disorders?
- What are some examples of invalidated sexual orientation negatively impacting the recovery process?
- How can eating disorder treatment be better tailored for validating queer individuals?
Quinn also shares her words of wisdom for queer-identifying or neurodivergent individuals currently recovering!
Quinn’s Instagram: @practice_eros_nutrition
Quinn’s website: www.practiceerosnutrition.com
FEDUP Collective: https://fedupcollective.org/
Buy my cookbook Nourishing Neurodiversity: https://www.livlabelfree.com/nourishing-neurodiversity
Blog post of this episode: https://www.livlabelfree.com/blog/neurodiversity-eating-disorders-and-the-lgbtq-community-w-quinn-haisley