Finding Strength in Vulnerability with Thomas @aspergersgrowth
Have you ever wondered what ED recovery looks like from a male's perspective? And how do Autism and other mental health issues contribute? In today's episode, I chat with Thomas Henley from @aspergersgrowth. Thomas is a Biomedical Sciences honors graduate from the University of Manchester, a Commonwealth Gold Medalist in Taekwondo, and a mental health advocate who is on a mission to spread awareness for people with disabilities. He has delivered presentations at SEN schools all across the UK and has appeared on Radio Shows like BBC Radio to share everything he stands for.
Thomas has an online presence on YouTube & Instagram and is the host of the Thoughty Auti podcast, all of which are aimed to build community and understanding for neurodivergence and mental health. His documentary Aspergers In Society explores the different views and experiences of people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, and can be watched for free on Thomas' YouTube Channel Aspergers Growth. In my chat will Thomas today, we emphasize how vulnerability leads to strength and you'll learn:
- How professional sports can impact mental health
- What it's like growing up diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome
- Why honesty is so important in building strong relationships
- Thomas' personal story with Bulimia & recovery from it
- Common myths & misconceptions around eating disorders in males
- Hormonal changes in males as a result of malnutrition
- Different ways in which Autism can manifest as an eating disorder
- The role of genetics in the development of an eating disorder and other mental health issues
- Strategies to reduce bingeing at night
- That recovery is not linear & how to keep showing up for yourself
Connect with Thomas!
YouTube: Aspergers Growth
Documentary: Aspergers in Society
Podcast: Thoughty Auti
I’ve teamed up with Daily Harvest to gift you up to $40 off their plant-based meal delivery service! Daily Harvest creates an incredible variety of products that are built on fruits + vegetables; think smoothie bowls, soups, stews, vegan ice cream, and MORE! All of their products are sustainably sourced + packaged and are 100% FREE of gluten, refined sugars, fillers, preservatives, or anything artificial. Daily Harvest works directly with farmers to ensure optimal quality + nutrition, so that you can have healthy food in your freezer for whenever you need it! Use the code LIVLABELFREE to get up to $40 off your order at daily-harvest.com!
I’ve teamed up with Nuzest to gift my podcast listeners a 25% discount on Clean Lean Protein! Clean Lean Protein by Nuzest is a plant-based protein powder made from premium European golden peas. It has a silky-smooth texture and is free of all common allergens including gluten, soy, and dairy. Nuzest is regularly lab-tested to ensure quality and is always free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and additives. Use the code LIVFREE25 to get 25% off your order at nuzest-usa.com!